A lock is a device that secures buildings, rooms, cabinets, items, or people. There are many different types of locks, but they all serve the same purpose: to keep people or things safe. But can you open a lock by drilling it?
If you drill out the shear line, or just above it, on a pin tumbler lock the pins will not prevent the lock from opening and the core can be turned with a screwdriver.
How do locks work?
Locks are devices that keep people or things safe by fastening them in place. There are many different locks, but they all use a key to open or close the device.
Keys work by fitting into the grooves of a lock’s internal mechanism and moving it correctly to open the lock. Most waves have different-sized teeth called wards that prevent the wrong key from being inserted. To open a lock, the correct key must line up all the wards so they can slide past each other and allow the lock to be opened.
Drilling through a lock will only open if you drill through all the wards. Even then, it is likely that the lock will be damaged and need to be replaced. It is much easier and less destructive to pick the lock with a tension wrench and a pin-tumbler pick.
What are the different types of locks?
There are many different types of locks, but they can broadly be classified into five categories:
- Deadbolts are a type of locking mechanism that is often used on doors. A deadbolt consists of a bolt inserted into a housing in the doorjamb (the frame around the door). Deadbolts are usually locked by turning a knob or key in the housing, which extends or retracts the bolt.
- Padlocks are the simplest type of lock and typically consist of a flat piece of metal with a hole in the middle. A padlock is locked by placing the shackle (the metal loop that protrudes from the lock’s body) through the hole in the lock’s body, then closing the shackle.
- Lever locks are another type of door lock. Lever locks are a lever operated by a knob or key. When the lever is turned, it extends or retracts a bolt, which locks or unlocks the door.
- Cam locks are another type of door lock. Cam locks consist of a cam (a rotating disc) that is operated by a knob or key. When the cam is turned, it extends or retracts a bolt, which locks or unlocks the door.
- Magnetic locks are less joint than other types, but they are growing in popularity. Magnetic locks use magnets to hold the door closed. When power is applied to the magnet (usually via an electric current), it creates a magnetic field that closes the door. When power is cut off to the magnet, the magnetic field is released, and the door can be opened.
What is the best way to open a locked door?
There are many ways to open a locked door, but there are better options than drilling through the lock. This method can damage the door and frame, making it more difficult and expensive to repair. It is also possible to drill through the wrong part of the lock, rendering it unusable. If you decide to drill through the lock, use a quality drill bit and do not damage the surrounding area.
How to drill through a lock?
To drill through a lock, you will need a power drill and a bit that is slightly smaller than the diameter of the lock’s bore.
Start by inserting the bit into the drill and then aligning it with the center of the lock. Next, apply gentle pressure to the trigger and start drilling. Continue drilling until the bit has penetrated through the back of the lock.
Once you have drilled through the lock, insert a screwdriver or other tool into the hole and turn it to open the door.
What are the risks of drilling through a lock?
Drilling through a lock will damage it and make it more challenging to open. Additionally, it is more likely to damage the door or frame, making it more difficult to repair. Drilling also creates noise and dust, which can nuisance to neighbors.